The kids and I made our yearly "Tree of Thanks" and it served as our centerpiece all month. I actually look forward to it. I love collecting the branches. And the vase I use only once a year. I don't even mind cutting and treading all the paper leaves. Then at dinner one night we go around the table and take turns filling out the leaves. I am sure the items we write are the same every year, but I love the reflective conversations that follow. In the 5 or so years that we have done it, I can see the kids mature and become more aware of all we have to be thankful for.
My mom hit the nail on the head when she coined the term "Thanksmas" (or if you prefer, "Christgiving"). We had a great week, with beautiful, warm fall weather. Of course, my parents want to see the kids open their Christmas gifts, and I would never deny any grandparent that. So while watching the Macy's Parade my children began ripping paper off presents.
How I wish, November and a spirit of thanksgiving wouldn't come to a harsh end once the christmas tree went up. I feel like it kicks off a different month of gluttony and overindulgence. I think next year I will save some of the leaves and put them on our Christmas tree - maybe they would serve as a good reminder.
No comments:
Post a Comment