Cadence is with her parents, I am the sole coordinator of the Central Elementary yearbook (enrollment 1500 students, largest in VA), I ran (using that term loosely) the Charlottesville 4-miler last weekend with a sea of 3800 amazing women, Laney had the worst flu we have ever experienced, and my baby started 3 year old preschool today.
Let me start by saying how much I love Skype, and why have I not been using it until now??? I guess it isn't enough to live across the country from your family, your friend has to go to China before you sign up for this wonderful FREE service. Stacy and I have skyped almost daily and I have met Cadence twice. She is adorable, seems adjusted and on target developmentally, and more importantly... looks completely comfortable and interacts with her parents. I can't wait to meet her in person.
As far as the yearbook thing...this will be the last I mention it, because my personal goal is simply to do the best job I can for the students and not bitch about it.
The 4 miler though, I will go on and on about. It wasn't really until the end of my near hour finish (yes, not a lot of running) that the impact kind of hit me. The route is such that you turn and run back, which I love because you get to people watch. After my second turn, approaching the finish, I started thinking about the women I was passing - what their stories were. Lots of young moms, some older, preteens, sprinters, walkers, healthy in appearance, and a couple bald with central lines bandaged up. No matter what someones story is, 4 miles was do-able for all, and really a short distance in comparison to the challenges so many women are facing. Not to mention it was a beautiful morning and I had a great time with my friend Kelli.
Saturday night Laney had an allergic reaction, yet again to beans but this time plain old refried pinto. We continue to be perplexed and will just now avoid all beans, even though initial tests show no allergy. (Originally it was whole dark skin/black beans). Anyway, it was controlled with Benadryl and she went to bed. The next morning she had no appetite and on the way home from Lowe's the puking began. It continued until about 11pm, and she finally fell asleep at 4am Monday morning. Despite our efforts to push the fluids, she was completely dehydrated and did not pee for 16 hours. Needless to say, it was a long day and I am still doing laundry.
Onto today, Laney is thankfully back at school, but...so is Garrett. My baby has grown up. Well, a little bit, enough to leave me 3 hours a day, twice a week. We changed schools this year and he is going to preschool at the gym where we have gone to Tumble Buddies since he was 1. So, he knew where we were going and BFF Leo was waiting in the parking lot for him when we arrived. All was well. Only once this morning did he say "mommy I will miss you" but after seeing how easy drop off went I think his sentiment was obligatory.
G and Leo have been buddies since the first month we moved here - June 2007, and they were only 6 months. I looked for an old photo of them, but all I could find was one of G alone the day we met Leo (and his mom & brother) at the beach. So, I asked G what his favorite part of schoool was. He said he liked it all "except not the hokie pokie". We will work on this required skill. :) I just chalk it up to his mature musical ear - on his "get to know you" homework he answered that is favorite song is "Boom Boom Pow" by the Black Eyed Peas. (Yes, I did actually write it down for him and hand it in. And, yes, I realize there might be a couple teachers judging me).



.jpg)
Love to read your stuff. Glad Laney is better.-Mis
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Love the recap. You've sufficiently guilted me into feeling the pressure to do so myself....
ReplyDeleteThe picture of G @ 6 months is barely recognizable to me now!!! How fast these 3 years have gone by..... so happy G and L can be together at school