Tuesday, April 12, 2011

37-hundred Hightlights Needed


When I was a kid (ok, still) my favorite sections of the Highlights magazine were the Picture Find or the one where they zoom close-up on something and you have to figure out what it is.  I am thinking of submitting this photo...any guesses?


Correct, that would be 370 gray hairs.  Which leads me to a certain (gray) cloud, aka birthday, that continues to near.  As any good daughter, I of course blame my mom for this apprehension I am feeling.  One must know, that for as long as I/anyone can remember, my mom has used any variation of the number "37" as equivalent to infinity.  "I've told you 37 times,..." "...37-thousand times"..."37-million times"...  Man, 37 must be OLD! 

It doesn't really help that I clearly remember my mom when she was 37.  I mean I really knew her, not just fuzzy memories...being that I was 16.  Today I see her as the same mom she was at 37, yet somehow I am 21 years older.  How does that happen?  With the execption of my kids (and Calvin) I don't notice my other family members aging.  My parents are considerably younger than my friends parents, Eric's sandy hair will never gray, my brother is still my baby brother, and Nanny is 94 but people would guess 80.



Mom at 37


No more gray hairs needed, so enough stressing for now.  Thankfully, I feel young and grays are easily covered with a different sort of Highlights.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh very sweet daughter - I remember 37, Papa told me I only had a couple of good years left when I turned 37 and that I better find a husband soon. At least you don't have that added stress! You make 37 look really good but I swear you are still 21 or maybe 16 like in the picture. I love you very much ~ Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "baby brother" has a receding hairline, back hair, bad knees, and listens to NPR more than any other radio station.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, is that suppose to make me feel younger? Can't you pretend to be younger for my sake?

    ReplyDelete